Monday, August 23, 2010

Inward Observations: part 1 of ∞

1. I think I need a career that can offer lots of independence. I like setting goals for myself that are tied to larger, more life-affirming, and practical aspects of life (i.e. education, conflict resolution, health, etc.), as opposed to being obliged to adhere to goals set for me that are tied to smaller, subjective, shorter-term initiatives.

2. The things I like best about my current job are the editing and the shooting, when I can fully immerse myself in the creation of a solid product. I don't particularly like troubling myself with the distribution or the client desires, but when I do, I am often disappointed with the relatively small sphere of influence, short term goals, and/or enthusiasm over what I see as proportionately small events/meaning.

3. I like working with something hands-on, and I learn better by doing.

4. I'm really bad at being fake, and I hate having to be fake. Fake smiles, fake interest, and fake enthusiasm tire me out. Relatedly, impressing anyone besides those I care about is never high on my list.

5. My hopes for something are almost always trumped by possible realities. I'll get really excited about something if the logistics are there to support its potential.

6. More than approval or praise, I want feedback.

7. I like when questions have a purpose, for example to come closer to a conclusion, when someone truly cares, or when the information will be used for something.

8. Inefficient systems and unnecessary elements irk me.

9. The test to pass is whether or not the issues one talks about in a meeting have any implications outside of that particular closed community. Immigration? Yes. The history of film? Yes. An upcoming community event? Doesn't excite me.

Given all of this, what is the best career for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment